It’s been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Whether that’s actually true may be up for debate, but these delectably healthy recipes will definitely elevate breakfast to your favorite meal of the day!
This twist on the classic North African and Middle Eastern dish can be eaten for breakfast or served as breakfast for dinner. High in protein and fiber, it’s packed with kale, tomatoes, avocado, and eggs for a nutrient-rich meal sure to satisfy.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, divided
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons harissa paste, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-oz. can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs, preferably pastured or organic
- 1 cup kale leaves, roughly torn
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic to the pan. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, harissa, paprika, and cumin. Stir until fragrant.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes with the liquid, salt, and pepper. Cook, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Make four indentations in the vegetables and crack an egg into each indentation. Sprinkle the kale around the eggs.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the eggs are set but the yolks are still runny. Remove the skillet from the oven and top with the feta, cilantro, and avocado. Serve immediately.
Per serving: Calories 330; Total Fat 20g; Carbs 23g; Protein 16g; Sodium 396mg; Sugar 11g
Level up your pancake game with this gluten-free, sugar-free version of a morning favorite. Bonus? Each serving contains a whopping 15 grams of protein!
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated stevia
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, preferably pastured or organic
- 2 oz. softened cream cheese, preferably organic
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Avocado oil spray
- Blueberries and pure maple syrup for topping
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, stevia, baking powder, cinnamon, eggs, cream cheese, vanilla, and salt until well blended into a smooth batter. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Spray a bit of avocado oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Pour a scant ¼ cup of the batter into the pan for each pancake. Work in batches if needed to avoid crowding.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancakes. Flip and cook for an additional minute.
- Serve immediately with the blueberries and maple syrup.
Per serving: Calories 384; Total Fat 34g; Carbs 16g; Protein 15g; Sodium 575mg; Sugar 3g
Better Banana Muffins
Light and fluffy, these muffins are a perfect grab-and-go treat to start your day. Best of all, they are gluten-free and don’t contain any refined white flour or sugar.
- ½ cup organic milk or unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ripe banana, chopped
- 2½ tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup blueberries or dark, low-sugar chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray with avocado oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, butter or coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Slowly stir into the wet ingredients until well blended.
- Fold in the banana, chia seeds, and optional berries or chocolate chips.
- Fill each muffin liner with the batter until about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a covered container for up to four days.
Per serving: Calories 143; Total Fat 5.4g; Carbs 22.9g; Protein 1.7g; Sodium 101mg; Sugar 7.7g