What’s better than dinner hot off the grill? Whether you’re feeding a crowd or simply trying to nourish the family after a long day, these crave-worthy recipes are a perfect fit for summer!
HERBED LEMON CHICKEN & SUMMER SQUASH
Fast and easy, this is the ideal summer meal thanks to fresh herbs and a hint of lemon.
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 medium crookneck squash
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- Grilled lemon slices
- Grate 1 tablespoon of peel from the lemon and juice the lemon into a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon peel and juice with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Pour 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a measuring cup.
- Add the chicken to the bowl. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare your grill. Heat to medium.
- Place the chicken and the squash on the grill. Discard the marinade.
- Cover the grill and cook for 7 minutes. Turn the chicken and the squash and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Transfer chicken and squash to a cutting board. Slice the chicken into 1-inch strips and cut the squash on a diagonal into slices.
- To serve, toss the squash with reserved lemon juice marinade. Combine with the chicken and plate on a large platter. Sprinkle with chives. Garnish with grilled lemon slices.
Per serving: Calories 330; Total Fat 10g; Carbs 3.2g; Protein 54.6g; Sodium 135mg; Sugar 1.6g
GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH ARUGULA
The perfect dish for the carnivores in your family, the balsamic vinegar tenderizes the meat and gives it a distinctive flavor.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 lb. flank steak
- 2 cups arugula
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Combine 1½ tablespoons of olive oil and ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar with the mustard, salt, pepper, and parsley in a large sealable plastic bag.
- Place the meat in the bag and seal. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the grill and heat to medium.
- Grill the steak to desired doneness. Remove to a cutting board.
- While the steak rests, toss the arugula with the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Place on a serving platter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Slice the meat and place on top of the arugula.
Per serving: Calories 457; Total Fat 28.1g; Carbs 1.2g; Protein 47.3g; Sodium 231mg; Sugar 0.2g
GREEK TURKEY SLIDERS
Trade in gluten-filled burger buns for butter lettuce and presto! A low-carb, low-cal version of this tasty favorite.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Butter lettuce leaves
- In a medium bowl, mix together the turkey, 1/3 cup of the red onion, 1 tablespoon dill, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Form into 10 small patties.
- Prepare the grill and heat to medium.
- Grill the sliders for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from grill and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, remaining red onion and dill, lemon juice, and honey.
- To assemble, place one patty on a lettuce leaf. Top with sauce and wrap the slider. Serve immediately.
Per servings: Calories 234; Total Fat 10.9g; Carbs 7.9g; Protein 25.5g; Sodium 129mg; Sugar 4.6g
KNIFE AND FORK GRILLED SALAD
Fire up the grill to transform ordinary veggies into something extraordinary. This hearty salad adds a tasty hint of citrus and smokiness, making it easy to up your veggie intake.
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large onion, cut into ½ inch slices
- 2 small eggplants, sliced crosswise
- 2 zucchini, sliced crosswise
- 2 yellow squash, sliced crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Prepare the grill and heat to medium.
- In a mortar or small bowl, pound the garlic and salt into a paste. Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Thread the onion slices onto skewers. Brush with olive oil. Drizzle the eggplant, zucchini, and squash slices with additional olive oil and toss to coat. Brush the red pepper and romaine with olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables until lightly charred and tender, turning occasionally. Remove the eggplant, zucchini, and squash to a platter. Rub the skin off the pepper and slice into strips. Quarter the head of romaine.
- To plate, put a romaine wedge on each plate. Mound the vegetables on the lettuce and sprinkle with the goat cheese. Pass the lemon vinaigrette at the table.
Per servings: Calories 300 cal; Total Fat 17g; Carbs 31g; Protein 10.6g; Sodium 126mg; Sugar 7g